Friday, March 25, 2011

Fun Bike/Run/Walk for INA (9.4.10)

September 4, 2010 was my baptismal run. I was not into sports, in fact I was a couch potato then. Until I got "obliged" to join in this fun run by a batchmate-slash-drinking buddy who happens to be a devotee of "Ina" /inâ/ or the Lady of Peñafrancia.

The night before the run, I got my very first running jersey that would become part of my singlet collection. Early in the morning, I took a heavy breakfast. We arrived at Peñafrancia Shrine about half an hour before the gun start. It was still dark. I called up another batchmate to join us while waiting for the race to start.

ADNU Athletics Office was among the sponsors of the run. One of the early birds was Fr. Tabora. I saw familiar faces: batchmates and former teachers in Ateneo. Two celebrities got invited to run, Antonio Aquintana and AJ Dee, a college batchmate.

Minutes before the scheduled gun start, participants which included elite and recreational runners and bikers, were asked to gather in Plaza de Covarrubias. The patio was filled with hundreds of people in green running outfit. The archbishop delivered a message. ADNU Basketball varsity led the warm up.

Three of us, together with Badat and Jing, were running while Jake was biking with his mates. We tried to go near the starting line but there were a lot of people. As soon as I heard the gun fired, everyone went running. I lost sight of my buddies as the race started. I ran as fast as I could for about a hundred meters. Suddenly, I felt I was going to faint! So I just walked and pretended I was fine. It felt like I had an empty stomach.

I walked on from Camarines Sur Polytechnic College until Naga City Hospital. Approaching the right turn I saw a camera aiming at us so I went running again until I saw Marlon, a highschool batchmate. We chat for a while and talked about encouraging our batchmates to organize a running event someday. At Metropolitan Cathedral there was a waterstation. I took and gulped one glass while jogging. I almost got drowned.

The route was no shorter than 5km. It covered Peñafrancia Avenue straight ahead to Universidad de Sta. Isabel then turn right to Metropolitan Cathedral, turn left until Plaza Rizal, turn left to Panganiban Avenue and then left to Magsaysay Avenue. The finish line was at the Basilica compound.

Around Delfin Rosales Bridge, I caught up with a buddy. Along Panganiban Avenue, I saw
some fans of AJ paced with him. Some were taking photos with him. I passed them and ran faster. At Magsaysay Avenue, I passed Antonio who were catching his breath as with most of the participants.

I had no idea how long it took me to finish the race. Maybe it was an hour, more or less. Yes, it was fun! There were free coffee and pandesal.

Post Race. My legs and feet were so painful. I didn't have an idea how long until I could fully recover. The following day, I decided to jog from home to Basilica which is longer than the route we ran the other day! Realizing that I didn't have a single peso, I had to phone a friend to fetch me home!

No comments:

Post a Comment